6.14.2012

50 Shades of Grey


On Saturday, I walked into a conversation between my manager and one of my colleagues, my manager was going on and on about this book she'd read.. and how AMAZING it was.. she told us a few bits from the story and how she couldn't put the book down! Unfortunately, being an English Literature student, I've come to hate the idea of reading. More because all the reading tends to be accompanied by analysis of every. single. word. I don't tend to take recommendations of books, I never read all the Harry Potter books and I HATED Twilight. But for some reason I was compelled to purchase this trilogy. 

50 Shades of Grey50 Shades Darker & 50 Shades Freed
Waterstones had a 25% off offer so I thought I'd take advantage and buy all three. I picked up the book that evening.. knowing parts of the plot here and there and settled down to read it. It was 2am before I decided that I had to put the book down at Chapter 17. 

EL James did a fantastic job at writing a book that got you hooked. Some parts really do scream Twilight, but you forget about that because you just want to know what happens next. The characters, Christian and Ana, are quite relatable- or you probably know someone just like them!
Many people have also criticised this book for being quite graphic. I won't lie, it's not for the faint hearted- and I definitely wouldn't let my little sister (16) read it- but because its a good'un you can kinda roll your eyes and skim read over the sex scenes. 50 shades has been a remarkable success, many celebrities have read the book, I have personally and Mia wants to borrow it from me when I see her next and even the lady at my local sunbed shop was reading it. 

Books are quite a personal thing, you use your own life experiences to interpret the story in your own way. So what may be harrowing to one person, may not affect another at all.  So my reccomendation is to go buy a copy, or borrow one off a friend?! Just read it and make your minds up yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...